At the start of each week I like to look at ASIC’s short position report to find out which shares are being targeted by short sellers.
This is because I believe it is well worth keeping a close eye on short interest levels as high levels can sometimes be a sign that something isn’t quite right with a company.
With that in mind, here are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX this week according to ASIC:
- Flight Centre Travel Group Ltd (ASX: FLT) remains the most shorted ASX share despite its short interest easing to 10.2%. This travel agent’s shares have come under pressure recently after guiding to a larger than expected second half loss and concerns over travel agent commission reductions.
- Kogan.com Ltd (ASX: KGN) isn’t far behind after its short interest rose to 10.1%. Last week this ecommerce company revealed that inventory issues continue to weigh on its performance. As a result, it expects to fall well short of analyst expectations in FY 2021.
- Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) has seen its short interest rise week on week to 10%. This gold miner’s shares have been sold off this year due to regulatory issues at its Bibiani operation in Ghana and underwhelming production and guidance.
- Temple & Webster Group Ltd (ASX: TPW) has seen its short interest rise to 9.9%. Short sellers have been increasing their positions in this online furniture and homewares retailer due to a recent and disappointing trading update.
- Tassal Group Limited (ASX: TGR) has short interest of 9.6%, which is flat week on week once again. Weakness in salmon prices and trade war concerns appear to be behind this high level of short interest.
- Webjet Limited (ASX: WEB) has seen its short interest rise week on week to 9.4%. A stuttering travel market recovery, valuation concerns, and travel agent commission reduction fears could be weighing on investor sentiment.
- Electro Optic Systems Hldg Ltd (ASX: EOS) has entered the top ten with short interest of 8.3%. Short sellers may be concerned that the communications, defence, and space company’s performance will be impacted by supply chain issues.
- Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1) has short interest of 8.2%, which is up again week on week. Short sellers may believe the Network as a Service provider’s shares are overvalued, especially with bond yields rising.
- Inghams Group Ltd (ASX: ING) has 8% of its shares held short, which is up slightly week on week. It appears as though investors are concerned about its major contract renewal negotiation with Woolworths Group Ltd (ASX: WOW). The sudden exit of its CEO may also be weighing on sentiment.
- JB Hi-Fi Limited (ASX: JBH) has entered the top ten with short interest of 7.4%. Short sellers may feel the retail giant’s shares are overvalued considering a sharp profit decline is being forecast in FY 2022.