Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Monday.
Here’s a quick recap of the Aussie market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.3%
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.2%
- AUD/USD at US 76.75 cents
- Gold at US$1,271 an ounce, up 0.2%
- Oil at US$53.90 a barrel, up 2.4%
Amongst the best-performing shares during Monday’s session was those of oil and gas business Santos Ltd (ASX: STO), which rose 3.7%. Although the company did not release material news to the market, commodity prices rose favourably at the weekend.
ResMed recently posted a strong first quarter operating performance, with investors warming to the news.
Mid-cap companies Syrah Resources Ltd (ASX: SYR) and Super Retail Group Ltd (ASX: SUL) lost 4.7% of their value today. According to an ASX filing, a Super Retail director sold 15,825 shares. However, he holds an additional 1.3 million.
Here are today’s top stories:
- Is Westpac Banking Corp facing a shareholder class action?
- 3 shares to profit from the falling Australian dollar
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Don’ts of 2017/2018
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Owen Raszkiewicz has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Eat some vegetables then follow Owen on Twitter @OwenRask.
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Blackmores Limited, Super Retail Group Limited, and Vocus Communications Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm