The local share market climbed higher today, keeping it comfortably above the 5700-point mark.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.3% to 5720 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.3% to 5773 points
- AUD/USD at US 79.78 cents
- Iron Ore at US$68.73 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,268.10 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$52.40 a barrel
The Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) share price was the top performer from the ASX 200 cohort today, rising 5.9% to $5.74.
Indeed, a number of the market’s gold miners rose today after the gold price jumped over the weekend. Newcrest Mining Limited (ASX: NCM) rose 2.1% and Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) lifted 0.7%. Beadell Resources Ltd (ASX: BDR) was the exception, sliding 5.1% after releasing its June 2017 quarterly report.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm