The ASX 200 retreated today, reversing some of the gains achieved over the past two sessions.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 1.2% to 5763 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 1.1% to 5796 points
- AUD/USD at US 76.16 cents
- Iron Ore at US$54.43 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,264.40 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$47.00 a barrel
The Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY) and Orocobre Limited (ASX: ORE) were again amongst the market’s worst performing shares, shedding 11.7% and 5.2% respectively. That was after the pair already fell 8.6% and 2.9% on Wednesday.
The Nine Entertainment Co Holdings Ltd (ASX: NEC) share price gave back its gains today, as well, after its rival Ten Network Holdings Limited (ASX: TEN) entered voluntary administration. The Nine Entertainment share price slipped 5.5%.
Other companies that also endured heavy falls today include the Brickworks Limited (ASX: BKW) share price, down 5.5%, Santos Ltd (ASX: STO) share price, down 4.7%, and Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) share price, down 4.5%.
The miners were impacted by a fall in the oil price and the gold price. The BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) share price declined 2.9%.
Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (ASX: BAL) was the market’s biggest winner for the day, jumping 12.9% after it emerged from a trading halt. The company recently announced a new acquisition and a capital raising.
Here are Thursday’s top stories:
- 3 reasons Wesfarmers shares should be on your ASX watchlist
- The Crown Resorts Ltd share price has sunk lower
- Chart: the 3 ways Vocus Group Ltd makes money
These 3 stocks could be the next big movers in 2020
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
In this FREE STOCK REPORT, Scott just revealed what he believes are the 3 ASX stocks for the post COVID world that investors should buy right now while they still can. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks these could really go gangbusters as we move into ‘the new normal’.
*Returns as of 6/8/2020
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman owns shares of Vocus Communications Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Crown Resorts Limited, Vocus Communications Limited, and Wesfarmers Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm