The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) ended higher on Wednesday with share price gains from a2 Milk Company Ltd (Australia) (ASX: A2M) and Seven Group Holdings Ltd (ASX: SVW).
Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): up 0.1%
- DAX (Germany): up 0.1%
- CAC 40 (France): up 0.2%
- Dow Jones (USA): up 1.1%
- NASDAQ (USA): up 0.7%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: up 0.7%
- All Ordinaries (ASX: XAO) (Index: ^AXAO): up 0.6%
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 75.16 cents
- Gold price: down 1%
- Copper: up 0.7%
- WTI Crude Oil: up 0.2%
- Iron ore closed 0.7% lower at $US66.07 a tonne overnight
At the top of the ASX’s performance tables was Seven Group Holdings. Among other things, Seven Group is one of Australia’s and North East China’s distributors of Caterpillar machinery. Overnight, the US giant reported a promising market update and shares soared.
The a2 Milk Company share price also lifted more than 7% today after it announced a promising market update. Shares of rival Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (ASX: BAL) got sucked in a2 Milk’s updraft and rose 5%.
At the other end of the Australian market’s performance tables were shares of gold miners, including:
- Newcrest Mining Limited (ASX: NCM): down 4.9%
- St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM): down 11%
- Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST): down 7%
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL): down 6%
- Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN): down 5%
Here are today’s top stories:
- Leading broker rates these 3 shares as a buy
- Why Somnomed Limited is among 4 shares getting CRUSHED today
- Why the Macquarie Group Ltd share price could hit $100 in 2017
- Why Goldman Sachs just downgraded BHP Billiton Limited shares
- The a2 Milk Company Ltd share price is rocketing on Chinese demand
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm