Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): down 0.5%
- DAX (Germany): up 0.1%
- CAC 40 (France): up 0.3%
- Dow Jones (USA): down 0.6%
- NASDAQ (USA): up 0.2%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: up 0.3%
- All Ordinaries (ASX: XAO) (Index: ^AXAO): up 0.2%
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 75.07 cents
- Gold price: down 0.8%
- Copper: down 0.4%
- WTI Crude Oil: down 3.4%
- Iron ore: up 2.2% to $US64.20 a tonne, according to The Metal Bulletin
Also amongst the worst performers was Brambles Limited (ASX: BXB) shares, falling 2.7%. The Bank of Queensland Limited (ASX: BOQ) share price fell 4.3% after its shares went ex-dividend, and the a2 Milk Company Ltd (Australia) (ASX: A2M) share price fell 2% despite no material news.
At the other end of the market, TPG Telecom shares and Telstra Corporation rebounded strongly to be amongst the day’s best performers.
In the mid-cap space, Iluka Resources Limited (ASX: ILU) shares rallied 11% following the release of its quarterly production report. Also amongst today’s leading shares was iCar Asia Ltd (ASX: ICQ), which released a quarterly update.
Here are today’s top stories:
- 5 ways to profit from Australia’s ageing population
- Revealed: One blue-chip share I think is a must buy for your SMSF today
- Amazon’s arrival in Australia could smash ASX retail shares
- Why baby boomer wealth is sending the Challenger Ltd share price
- 5 Kiwi companies you should have on your watchlist
5 stocks under $5
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
The Motley Fool Australia's parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. owns shares of Amazon. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk and Challenger Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm