Local shares effectively reversed yesterday’s decline with an afternoon flurry today.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.1% to 5621 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.1% to 5672 points
- AUD/USD at US 76.71 cents
- Iron Ore at US$80.60 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,232.71 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$55.85 a barrel
Transurban Group (ASX: TCL) shot the lights out with its earnings update today, sending the share price rocketing 6.4% higher.
The gold miners were on fire as well after a sharp rise in the gold price. St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM) soared 4.9%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) gained 3.9% and EVOLUTION FPO (ASX: EVN) gained 4.4%.
Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX: BGA) also rose 2.5%.
Unfortunately, there were a number of blue chip businesses which acted as a drag on the broader market
Meanwhile, Mobile Embrace Ltd (ASX: MBE) was one of the biggest losers for the day. Its shares were hammered 46.7% after a disappointing market update this morning.
Here are Tuesday’s top stories:
- Got a spare $10,000? I would invest it in these 3 growth shares
- Results just in: Transurban Group shoot the lights out
- 3 dividend shares I’d buy with $30,000 today
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm