The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) ended higher on Wednesday, with the Sydney Airport Holdings Ltd (ASX: SYD) share price, Gentrack Group Ltd (ASX: GTK) share price and Ramsay Health Care Limited (ASX: RHC) share price lifting the Aussie market.
Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): up 0.7%
- DAX (Germany): up 1.3%
- CAC 40 (France): up 0.6%
- Dow Jones (USA): up 0.7%
- NASDAQ (USA): up 0.6%
Here’s today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: up 0.9%
- All Ordinaries (ASX: XAO) (Index: ^AXAO): up 0.9%
- Gold price: up 0.17%
- Copper: up 1.2%
- WTI Crude Oil: up 1.2%
- Iron ore: up 0.5% to $US82 per tonne, according to The Metal Bulletin
On the ASX, shares in Sydney Airport Holdings Ltd ended higher despite the retirement of long-serving Chief Executive Officer, Kerrie Mather.
At the smaller end of the ASX, kiwi software company Gentrack Group rallied as much as 10% today after the company announced the acquisition of UK-based Junifer.
Aerial imagery business, Nearmap Ltd (ASX: NEA), updated the market on its quarterly financial performance, sending the share price up more than 10%. Pot stock MMJ Phytotech Ltd (ASX: MMJ) shares also rallied after the company released a report stating that the Canadian Government will legalise recreational cannabis by July 2018.
At the other end of the ASX performance tables, Newcrest Mining Limited (ASX: NCM) shares ended in the red. Meanwhile, AP Eagers Ltd (ASX: APE) and Blackmores Limited (ASX: BKL) were amongst the biggest losers.
Here are Wednesday’s top stories:
- Your instant 5-share income portfolio
- Your instant 5-share retirement portfolio
- Is the Qantas Airways Limited share price in the buy zone?
- Here are 3 retail shares in my shopping basket
- Smash term deposits with these generous fully franked dividends
- Are healthcare insurers shooting themselves in the foot?
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Nearmap Ltd. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm