After Wall Street crashed overnight, the ASX was doomed to follow.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 3.8% to 4,918 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 3.6% to 4,958 points
- AUD/USD at US 69.46 cents
- Iron Ore at US$56.86 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,126.86 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$47.33 a barrel
What a day. The local market closed deep in the red with commodity stocks leading the way after Glencore’s London-listed shares fell more than 23% overnight.
In response BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) and Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) were both hit for six. The pair plunged 6.7% and 4.6% respectively, while Santos Ltd (ASX: STO) and Origin Energy Ltd (ASX: ORG) closed 9.1% and 10.4% lower, respectively.
Like most blue-chips, the banks were also on the chopping block. The Big Four all fell between 3.5% and 3.8%, with Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC) the hardest hit. Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS) and CSL Limited (ASX: CSL) also plunged 4.4% and 3.3%.
Here are Tuesday’s top news stories:
- A crash-landing for the ASX 200: What every investor needs to know
- The Australian economy could get even worse: IMF
- This is why BHP Billiton shares crashed today
- The bear case strengthens for Origin Energy
- Has Corporate Travel Management Ltd (ASX: CTD) hit turbulence?
- 5 reasons to buy Westfield Corp Ltd (ASX: WFD) for a blue-chip retirement
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off it's high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ASXvalueinvest.
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.