Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Monday.
Here’s a quick recap of the Aussie market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.6%
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.6%
- AUD/USD at US 78.73 cents
- Gold at US$1,304 an ounce, up 0.6%
- Oil at US$51.73 a barrel, up 1.6%
Amongst the best-performing shares during Monday’s session were steel companies Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) and BlueScope Steel Ltd (ASX: BSL). Neither company released material news to the market. However, iron ore prices surged 4% higher over the weekend to $62.53 per tonne.
- Rio Tinto: up 3.4%
- BlueScope Steel: up 3.1%
- Origin Energy Ltd (ASX: ORG): up 2.5%
- BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP): up 2.2%
In the mid-cap space, shares of OceanaGold Corporation (ASX: OGC) fell 3%.
Here are today’s top stories:
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Owen Raszkiewicz has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
You can follow Owen on Twitter @OwenRask.
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm