The local share market rocketed higher today, propelled by a strong performance from international markets overnight. The miners rose strongly, as did the major banks.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 1.2% to 5543 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 1.1% to 5599 points
- AUD/USD at US 74.89 cents
- Iron Ore at US$82.25 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,177.03 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$53.00 a barrel
Meanwhile, Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) announced it had become the lowest cost seaborne supplier of iron ore into China. Its shares rose 1.7%.
Dorsavi Ltd (ASX: DVL) also fell 8.5%.
Here are Thursday’s top stories:
- Slater & Gordon Limited shareholders could face wipeout
- 3 small cap growth stocks for a big 2017
- 3 stocking fillers for smart investors this Christmas
- Don’t JUMP off this ASX dividend machine!
- Iron ore price hits 2-year high: Will the bubble burst in 2017?
- 4 shares to own in an Australian Recession
- 5 small-cap shares I’m tipping to shine in 2017
If you're looking for great investing ideas today…
With its shares up 155% in just the last five years, this ‘under the radar’ consumer favourite is both a hot growth stock AND our expert’s #1 dividend pick for 2017. Now we’re pulling back the curtain for you… And all you have to do to discover the name, code and a full analysis is click the link below!
Simply click here to receive your copy of our brand-new FREE report, "The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2017."
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.