Although it opened slightly higher, the Australian share market soon retreated as the selloff that begun on Wednesday continued.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 1.2% to 5295 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 1.2% to 5378 points
- AUD/USD at US 76.23 cents
- Iron Ore at US$63.07 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,265.95 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$50.04 a barrel
Shares of Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES) extended their decline today, sliding another 2.7%.
APN News and Media Limited (ASX: APN) shares were slammed 18.3% as they emerged from a trading halt this morning. The company announced an acquisition as well as a capital raising on Tuesday.
Elsewhere, Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX: BGA) fell another 1.9%. Incredibly, Blackmores Limited (ASX: BKL) ended the day 1.3% higher, after falling sharply following its first-quarter earnings update earlier in the day.
On another positive note, Ardent Leisure Group (ASX: AAD) shares regained 7.5% today. Its shares have come under enormous selling pressure recently following the tragic deaths that occurred at its Dreamworld theme park this week.
Here are Thursday’s top stories:
- National Australia Bank Ltd reports: Are shares good value?
- Slammed: Blackmores Limited shares tumble on AGM update
- Is Woolworths Limited still losing market share to its competitors?
- Ardent Leisure Group flags significant impact to theme parks at AGM
- Iron ore hits 11-week high and more gains could be ahead
- Why JB Hi-Fi Limited shares soared 5% today
- 2 huge reasons why shares of Westfield Corp have been hammered since Brexit
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm