Although it opened slightly higher, the Australian share market soon retreated as the selloff that begun on Wednesday continued.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 1.2% to 5295 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 1.2% to 5378 points
- AUD/USD at US 76.23 cents
- Iron Ore at US$63.07 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,265.95 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$50.04 a barrel
Shares of Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES) extended their decline today, sliding another 2.7%.
APN News and Media Limited (ASX: APN) shares were slammed 18.3% as they emerged from a trading halt this morning. The company announced an acquisition as well as a capital raising on Tuesday.
Elsewhere, Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX: BGA) fell another 1.9%. Incredibly, Blackmores Limited (ASX: BKL) ended the day 1.3% higher, after falling sharply following its first-quarter earnings update earlier in the day.
On another positive note, Ardent Leisure Group (ASX: AAD) shares regained 7.5% today. Its shares have come under enormous selling pressure recently following the tragic deaths that occurred at its Dreamworld theme park this week.
Here are Thursday’s top stories:
- National Australia Bank Ltd reports: Are shares good value?
- Slammed: Blackmores Limited shares tumble on AGM update
- Is Woolworths Limited still losing market share to its competitors?
- Ardent Leisure Group flags significant impact to theme parks at AGM
- Iron ore hits 11-week high and more gains could be ahead
- Why JB Hi-Fi Limited shares soared 5% today
- 2 huge reasons why shares of Westfield Corp have been hammered since Brexit
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off its high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.