The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has dropped 0.9% at lunchtime on Friday, following a big sell off in overseas markets overnight.
The Dow Jones fell 1.6%, but that was nothing compared to the larger S&P 500 and NASDAQ indices, which dropped 2.1% and 32.1% respectively as the tech stock sell off continued.
China’s exports slid 6.6% and imports declined in March, adding to the global unease, with concerns the world’s growth engine is beginning to splutter.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index at midday today:
- Echo Entertainment Group Ltd (ASX: EGP) soared 11.8% to $2.695
- Beadell Resources Ltd (ASX: BDR) gained 4.2% to 66.7 cents
- Paladin Energy Ltd (ASX: PDN) rose 4% to 44.7 cents
- Western Areas Ltd (ASX: WSA) added 3% to $3.79
- Mount Gibson Iron Limited (ASX: MGX) is up 2.7% at 84.7 cents
These are five of the worst performing stocks at midday today:
- Magellan Financial Group Ltd (ASX: MFG) dropped 5.9% to $12.20
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL) fell 4.7% to $2.525
- Carsales.com Limited (ASX: CRZ) lost 4.3% to $10.43
- Wotif.com Holdings Limited (ASX: WTF) slipped 4.0% to $2.62
- Ten Network Holdings Limited (ASX: TEN) is down 3.7% at 26 cents
These 3 stocks could be the next big movers in 2020
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
In this FREE STOCK REPORT, Scott just revealed what he believes are the 3 ASX stocks for the post COVID world that investors should buy right now while they still can. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks these could really go gangbusters as we move into ‘the new normal’.
*Returns as of 6/8/2020
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Beadell Resources and Carsales.com. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga
- Why PWR Holdings Ltd could see its share price rise from here – July 21, 2017 12:11pm
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited share price sinks on native title decision – July 20, 2017 4:23pm
- 5 overlooked finance shares to add to your watchlist – July 20, 2017 2:33pm