The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) is directionless at midday, sitting at 5,403.4, down 0.1%. US markets were flat overnight.
Investors may well be sitting on the sidelines waiting for tonight’s (Australian time) US non-farm payrolls data and the US unemployment rate. Either could trigger the US Federal Reserve’s current tapering of its quantitative easing program.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index at midday today:
- Paladin Energy Ltd (ASX: PDN) is up 4.4% at 47 cents
- Skilled Group Limited (ASX: SKE) has gained 4.2% to $2.74
- NRW Holdings Limited (ASX: NWH) has risen 4.1% to $1.135
- Buru Energy Limited (ASX: BRU) has added 2.9% to $1.265
- Mount Gibson Iron Limited (ASX: MGX) saw gains of 2.8%, trading at 91 cents
These are the five worst performing stocks at midday today:
- Magellan Financial Group Limited (ASX: MFG) has slipped 3.5% to $13.64
- Ozforex Group Limited (ASX: OFX) is down 2.8% to $3.10
- David Jones Limited (ASX: DJS) has lost 2.8% to $3.16
- Horizon Oil Limited (ASX: HZN) fell 2.6% to 30.2 cents
- Lynas Corporation Limited (ASX: LYC) has fallen 2.5% to 19.5 cents
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga
- Why PWR Holdings Ltd could see its share price rise from here – July 21, 2017 12:11pm
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited share price sinks on native title decision – July 20, 2017 4:23pm
- 5 overlooked finance shares to add to your watchlist – July 20, 2017 2:33pm