The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has gained 0.3% to 5,103.2, following the lead from offshore markets. Overnight, the Dow Jones gained 0.8%, while the S&P 500 rose 0.6%, while in Europe the UK’s FTSE 100 soared 1.3%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Forge Group (ASX: FGE) soared 17.8% to 63 cents
- Boart Longyear (ASX: BLY) climbed 9.1% to 36 cents
- Envestra (ASX: ENV) gained 4.7% to $1.12
- Monadelphous (ASX: MND) up 4.7% to $17.28
- Tabcorp (ASX: TAH) rose 3.6% to $3.50
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- REA Group (ASX: REA) dropped 6.9% to $37.74
- Insurance Australia Group (ASX: IAG) lost 5.3% to $5.40
- St Barbara (ASX: SBM) fell 5.2% to 27.5 cents
- Resolute Mining (ASX: RSG) slipped 4.7% to 51 cents
- Oz Minerals (ASX: OZL) closed down 4% to $2.88
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Forge Group. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga