The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has dropped 0.8% to 5,279.5, hitting six-week lows, as investors abandoned the big banks and miners. Just one sector, gold, finished in the black today, rising 1.1%, while the A-REIT sector recorded the biggest fall, dropping by more than 2%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Metcash (ASX: MTS) soared 7.5% to $3.28
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) gained 7.3% to 44 cents
- Resolute Mining (ASX: RSG) rose 6% to 53 cents
- Kingsgate Consolidated (ASX: KCN) added 3.9% to $1.08
- Oz Minerals (ASX: OZL) increased 3.6% to $3.18
These stocks were the losers on the day.