The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed up 0.8% at 5,432, with most sectors showing positive gains. The two sectors in the red were Healthcare and Telecommunication services with falls of 0.1% and 0.3% respectively. On the currency front the Australian dollar took a tumble after the RBA board noted that it was still at uncomfortably high levels. The Aussie dollar was last buying 94.7 US cents.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Sundance Resources (ASX: SDL) soared 15% to 11.5 cents
- Perseus Mining (ASX: PRU) climbed 6.5% to 41 cents
- OceanaGold Corporation (ASX: OGC) gained 6.1% to $1.835
- Transpacific Industries (ASX: TPI) added 5.9% to $1.16
- Alumina (ASX: AWC) rose 5.5% to $1.065
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Mermaid Marine (ASX: MRM) dropped3.9% to $3.48
- NRW Holdings (ASX: NWH) lost 3.3% to $1.31
- STW Communications (ASX: SGN) fell 3.2% to $1.51
- Adelaide Brighton (ASX: ABC) closed down 2.6% at $3.70
- Mesoblast (ASX: MSB) slipped 2.6% to $6.31
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off it's high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned.