The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed up 0.8% at 5,432, with most sectors showing positive gains. The two sectors in the red were Healthcare and Telecommunication services with falls of 0.1% and 0.3% respectively. On the currency front the Australian dollar took a tumble after the RBA board noted that it was still at uncomfortably high levels. The Aussie dollar was last buying 94.7 US cents.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Sundance Resources (ASX: SDL) soared 15% to 11.5 cents
- Perseus Mining (ASX: PRU) climbed 6.5% to 41 cents
- OceanaGold Corporation (ASX: OGC) gained 6.1% to $1.835
- Transpacific Industries (ASX: TPI) added 5.9% to $1.16
- Alumina (ASX: AWC) rose 5.5% to $1.065
These stocks were the losers on the day.
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned.