The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed down 0.2% at 5,149.4 as investors fret over the US political stalemate and its up-coming debt ceiling issue. Most sectors ended in the red, with just Health care and the Utilities sectors posting a positive result.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Alacer Gold (ASX: AQG) gained 4.8% to $3.30
- Atlas Iron (ASX: AGO) added 4.7% to 89.5 cents
- Cardno (ASX: CDD) rose 4.6% to $6.09
- GWA Group (ASX: GWA) closed up 3.6% to $3.13
- Aurora Oil & Gas (ASX: AUT) ended 3.5% higher at $3.29
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Cudeco (ASX: CDU) dropped 9.8% to $1.805
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) slumped another 5.2% to 46 cents
- Magellan Financial Group (ASX: MFG) fell 5% to $9.70
- Decmil Group (ASX: DCG) lost 4.9% to $2.14
- Resolute Mining (ASX: RSG) slipped 4.1% to 58.5 cents
Looking to construct a portfolio with high dividend-paying stocks? Discover The Motley Fool's favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of "The Motley Fool's Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014."
- Why Linc Energy is being crushed
- WA to ban discounted petrol price advertising?
- Wesfarmers vs Woolworths: Buy, Hold or Sell?
- Should you buy Cochlear?
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn't own shares in any companies mentioned.