The past year, the S&P/ASX 200 (ASX: XJO) (^AXJO) has been good for many Australian shareholders, surging from below 4000 in July 2012 to open today at 5191.70. However, shareholders in these five companies will be laughing all the way to the bank with their returns.
5. You don’t have to be an analyst to know that when the Australian dollar goes up, people will travel. Flight Centre (ASX: FLT) has made it onto the top five list just ahead of iiNET (ASX: IIN), which also increased over 100% in the past 12 months. Flight centre has taken off from $19.68 to open today at $39.60 – a gain of around 127%.
4. Corporate Travel Management (ASX: CTD) has been a favourite for many investors, increasing a whopping 138.8% this year to date. Currently it appears the company may have ran its course but the provider of travel management services is still an attractive stock, although a little on the expensive side. Currently at $4.89 it has a market capital of $382 million.
3. G8 Education (ASX: GEM) is a childcare center operator that provides a range of services Australia-wide. Yesterday it rose 5.65% to $2.43 per share, up from $0.88 this day a year ago. That’s a total shareholder return of 176%.
2. Codan Limited (ASX: CDA) designs and manufactures a range of electronic products for businesses, governments and private customers. Of the three companies mentioned thus far, this one has the biggest upside, with a P/E of 11 and a market capital of around $560 million, it still has room to move. That’s why it’s at number two despite only increasing a pitiful 147% from its 52-week low.
Coming in at number one is a company that has made a huge impact on the Australian stock market in the past 12 months.
1. This year, Sirius Resources’ (ASX: SIR) share price has skyrocketed so high I think the space stations would have noticed it. Exactly one year ago the stock closed at $0.059, but in March 2013, it traded as high at $5.00 (If you sold out then it would have been an 8374% gain.) Today it trades at $2.60, or a modest 4300% above its 52-week low.
What if? Hindsight can be a terrible thing. Many great sayings or quotes come from the share market in times when people are anxious or when it’s doing very well. Looking at the numbers above, here’s a personal favourite: With a good company, you can make more than 100% but you can never lose more than 100%, the only hard part is finding the ‘good’ companies.
The Australian Financial Review says “good quality Australian shares that have a long history of paying dividends are a real alternative to a term deposit.” Get “3 Stocks for the Great Dividend Boom” in our special FREE report. Click here now to find out the names, stock symbols, and full research for our three favourite income ideas, all completely free!
The Motley Fool’s purpose is to help the world invest, better. Click here now for your free subscription to Take Stock, The Motley Fool’s free investing newsletter. Packed with stock ideas and investing advice, it is essential reading for anyone looking to build and grow their wealth in the years ahead. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson. Motley Fool contributor Owen Raszkiewicz owns shares in Codan.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021