MENU

Why these 4 ASX shares have surged higher today

In afternoon trade the S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) is on course to finish the day in the red and is down 0.4% to 6,249.9 points.

Four shares that have defied the market and pushed higher today are listed below. Here’s why they are surging higher:

The Amaysim Australia Ltd (ASX: AYS) share price has pushed 6% higher to 98.5 cents after the telco company was tipped as a takeover target for Optus owner Singtel. According to the AFR, Singtel is believed to be in the early stages of exploring a takeover. Neither party has commented on the speculation but it seems some investors are betting on an approach coming.

The Macquarie Telecom Group Ltd (ASX: MAQ) share price has surged 14% higher to $24.05 after revealing plans to expand its data centre capacity significantly. In addition to this, management upgraded its guidance for FY 2018. It now expects EBITDA to be in the range of $47 million and $48 million compared to previous guidance of $44 million to $46 million. In FY 2017 Macquarie Telecom posted EBITDA of $40.3 million.

The New Hope Corporation Limited (ASX: NHC) share price has risen almost 10% to $3.50 after agreeing to purchase a 40% stake in the Bengalla coal project owned by Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES). New Hope will pay Wesfarmers a total of $860 million, bringing its stake in the project to 80%. Taipower and Mitsui equally share the remaining 20% stake.

The Reckon Limited (ASX: RKN) share price has zoomed 15% higher to 99 cents after releasing its half-year results. The accounting software company reported underlying EBITDA growth of 3% and underlying net profit after tax growth of 9%. This has allowed the board to approve the re-instatement of its dividend policy. As such, it has declared a fully franked interim dividend of 3 cents per share which will be paid to shareholders on September 4.

Breaking news: ASX companies set to raise dividends!

It's been a nail-biter of a reporting season here in the first half of 2018.

But the real action, in my opinion, is what companies are doing with dividends.

What does this mean for you? Well there is one stock I've found that could very well turn out to be THE best buy of 2018. And while there's no such thing as a 'sure thing' when it comes to investing - this ripper might come as close as I've ever seen.

Click here it's FREE!

Motley Fool contributor James Mickleboro has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Wesfarmers Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!