Why the Medical Developments International Ltd share price jumped higher today

Fresh from a 5% gain on Friday, the Medical Developments International Ltd (ASX: MVP) share price has continued to climb higher this morning.

At the time of writing the fast-growing healthcare company’s shares are up 3% to $5.21.

What happened?

This morning Medical Developments International announced that it has signed an agreement with CSIRO which will see the two parties develop new manufacturing technologies for pharmaceutical products.

The agreement extends the healthcare company’s existing partnership with CSIRO and will aim to develop the next generation of manufacturing technologies to make small molecule pharmaceutical products at a significantly reduced cost and improved quality.

According to the release Medical Developments International will invest up to $3 million in the project over three years.

The company will pay 60% of the costs in either cash or shares. The remaining 40% will be paid in cash but CSIRO will invest this portion of the fee by way of purchasing share options.

These options will be unlisted and will have a term of 10 years. CSIRO will be able to exercise them when a developed technology has been proven to be commercially viable.

Which may not be far away considering work has already begun and preliminary results have proven to be very encouraging according to management.

Should you invest?

As I said last week, I believe Medical Developments International is up there with fellow healthcare shares Ramsay Health Care Limited (ASX: RHC) and Nanosonics Ltd (ASX: NAN) as a great long-term buy and hold investment idea.

Although its shares are expensive, the strong growth prospects of its Penthrox pain management product go some way to justifying the premium. As does this promising partnership with CSIRO.

Finally, if you like buy and hold investments like Medical Developments International, then I would suggest you consider these quality buy and hold investment options as well. I'm tipping them all for big things in the next few years, which could make it an opportune time to invest in my opinion.

Top 3 ASX Blue Chips To Buy In 2017

For many, blue chip stocks means stability, profitability and regular dividends, often fully franked..

But knowing which blue chips to buy, and when, can be fraught with danger.

The Motley Fool's in-house analyst team has poured over thousands of hours worth of proprietary research to bring you the names of "The Motley Fool's Top 3 Blue Chip Stocks for 2017."

Each one pays a fully franked dividend. Each one has not only grown its profits, but has also grown its dividend. One increased it by a whopping 33%, while another trades on a grossed up (fully franked) dividend yield of almost 7%.

If you're expecting to see the likes of Commonwealth Bank, Telstra and Wesfarmers shares on this list, you'll be sorely disappointed. Not only are their dividends growing at a snail's pace, their profits are under pressure too due to the increasing competitive environment.

The contrast to these "new breed" blue chips couldn't be greater... especially the very real prospect of significant share price gains, something that's looking less likely from the usual blue chip suspects.

The names of these Top 3 ASX Blue Chips are included in this specially prepared free report. But you will have to hurry. Depending on demand - and how quickly the share prices of these companies moves - we may be forced to remove this report.

Click here to claim your free report.

Motley Fool contributor James Mickleboro has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Nanosonics Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.