Local shares soared again today, continuing their strong start to 2017.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.9% to 5807 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.8% to 5857 points
- AUD/USD at US 73.08 cents
- Iron Ore at US$76.25 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,174.34.88 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$56.85 a barrel
The benchmark ASX 200 index closed above 5,800 points for the first time since mid-2015 today, aided by the major banks.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ASX: CBA), National Australia Bank Ltd. (ASX: NAB) and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC) all rose between 1.3% and 1.7%. Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ASX: ANZ) also lifted 1.2%.
Sirtex Medical Limited (ASX: SRX) shares gained 1.7%. It announced late in the session that first-half dose sales grew 5.6%.
Here are Monday’s top stories:
- ASX 200 charges past 5,800 points: Is the time right to buy?
- 1 obvious reason to own Commonwealth Bank of Australia shares in 2017
- Dividend Bonanza: 3 high-yield companies paying you more than 7%
- 3 blue chip shares that I would buy today
- Why the PUSHPAY FPX NZX share price soared today
- Dow Jones hits 19,999: Is the S&P/ASX 200 set to boom in 2017?
5 stocks under $5
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm