The local share market dropped again today, extending on a three-day string of declines. The miners caused most of the damage after a bad night for commodity markets. Here’s a quick recap: S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 0.3% to 5440 points ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 0.3% to 5502 points AUD/USD at US 74.72 cents Iron Ore at US$77.30 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin Gold at US$1,189.34 an ounce Brent oil at US$47.63 a barrel BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) and Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) crashed 4.1% and 4.4% today after iron ore prices fell below US$80 a tonne. South32…
To keep reading, enter your email address or login below.
The local share market dropped again today, extending on a three-day string of declines. The miners caused most of the damage after a bad night for commodity markets.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 0.3% to 5440 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 0.3% to 5502 points
- AUD/USD at US 74.72 cents
- Iron Ore at US$77.30 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,189.34 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$47.63 a barrel
Spark New Zealand Ltd (ASX: SPK) was one of the market’s best performers today. It rose 4.2%. JB Hi-Fi Limited (ASX: JBH) also jumped 3.3%.
Here are Wednesday’s top stories:
- Is the RBA about to raise interest rates?
- Hammered: Why Vocus Communications Limited is being destroyed today
- Dreamworld to reopen: Why I think Ardent Leisure Group shares are a sell
- 3 software shares to benefit from the automation trend
- Hammered: Are Amaysim Australia Ltd shares a bargain buy?
- Why I’m selling my Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Ltd shares
- What everybody needs to know before buying Medibank Private Ltd shares
If you're looking for great investing ideas today, I would urge you to take a look at this business, hand-selected by our analysts as the top dividend share for 2017!
Attention investors: The Motley Fool's dividend expert Andrew Page has just released his #1 dividend stock for 2017. Chances are you've never heard of this little company, yet it's a fast-growing consumer favourite - with the shares up 155% in just the last five years! Even better, it's throwing off loads of cold, hard cash. As we speak, these shares are trading on 4.2% dividend yield, fully franked (6.0% gross). Making it a 'best bet' for growth AND income... No credit card required.
Simply click here to discover the name, code and a full investment analysis in our brand-new FREE report, "The Motley Fool's Top Dividend Stock for 2017."
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.