The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed down 1% at 5,428.6, with all sectors falling into the red, following on from losses on overseas markets overnight. For the week, the index is flat, despite a number of heavy falls. It’s no surprise that the information technology sector suffered the most today, dropping 2.5%, while gold and consumer staples also took a couple of big hits. Just 25 stocks in the index managed to post a gain.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today:
- Echo Entertainment Group Ltd (ASX: EGP) soared 12% to $2.70
- Paladin Energy Ltd (ASX: PDN) climbed 4.7% to 45 cents
- Beadell Resources Ltd (ASX: BDR) gained 3.9% to 66.5 cents
- Mount Gibson Iron Limited (ASX: MGX) added 2.4% to 84.5 cents
- Western Areas Ltd (ASX: WSA) closed up 2.2% to $3.76
These are five of the worst performing stocks today:
- Magellan Financial Group Ltd (ASX: MFG) dropped 6.6% to $12.12
- Buru Energy Limited (ASX: BRU) fell 6.3% to $1.195
- Bradken Limited (ASX: BKN) slipped 4.4% to $4.59
- Veda Group Ltd (ASX: VED) lost4.3% to $2.22
- Carsales.com Limited (ASX: CRZ) closed down 4.1% at $10.45
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off it's high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Beadell Resources and Carsales.com. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga