MENU

3 reasons why 2014 will be a great year for Telstra Corporation Ltd

The more things change the more they stay the same. That old proverb could well apply to Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS). The telco’s dominance of its industry appears to be growing stronger, winning a court case against rival Optus, and reported as being a contender to build part of the NBN.

Today Telstra won a case against its main mobile phone competitor Optus, which is wholly owned by Singapore Telecommunications (ASX: SGT), with Optus found guilty of showing misleading ads to attract mobile phone subscribers. Telstra already has the largest number of mobile subscribers, the largest coverage in Australia and most consumers view Telstra’s mobile network as the best. Optus and Vodafone – partly owned by Hutchison Telecommunications (Aus) Ltd (ASX: HTA) have both struggled to make any inroads into Telstra’s dominance.

And on top of its expected $11 billion in payments Telstra expects to receive for relinquishing control of its copper network, the giant Telco could be in line to earn an additional $5 to $6 billion, playing a bigger role in the construction of the National Broadband Network (NBN). A fibre-to-the-node pilot is expected to be completed within a month, and if successful, could become one of Australia’s biggest fibre-to-the-node rollouts.

Earlier this year, Telstra announced that it was selling 70% of its telephone directory business Sensis for $454 million, and could sell the remaining 30%, if the federal government removes the requirement for the telco to produce and distribute the White Pages directory. Given Sensis is a declining business, $454 million is likely to be much more than the business is worth in a few years.

Selling off the Sensis business and focusing on its core telecommunication and IT operations, such as mobile phones, broadband, data centres, network applications and services, its part ownership of Foxtel with News Corp (ASX: NWS) and its international businesses should see Telstra generate higher earnings growth.

Foolish takeaway

Telstra certainly has a lot going for it in 2014. After raising its legendary dividend by half a cent for the six months to December 2013, shareholders could see a further rise in dividend, not just this financial year, but in 2015 and beyond. Growing earnings will be the icing on the cake.

The top ASX pick you've never heard of...

Top Motley Fool analysts just identified their #1 ASX pick for 2014, a small-cap stock that could be poised for big gains (and offers a fat, fully franked dividend!). Discover all the details now, including the name and code, in this FREE investment report, "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2014."

Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Telstra. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.