The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has posted another gain following the US markets higher. The index gained 0.47% on Monday after the Dow Jones and S&P 500 rose 0.79% and 0.48% respectively on Friday.
While companies reporting today left investors with mixed emotions, all sectors with the exception of consumer staples managed to end the day in the green. The gold sector was the stand-out performer, up nearly 4%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) rallied 11.5% to 73 cents
- Sirius Resources N.L. (ASX: SIR) jumped 9.2% to $2.62
- Alacer Gold Corp (ASX: AQG) gained 7.8% to $3.04
- Ausdrill Limited (ASX: ASL) climbed 6.8% to $1.025
- Silver Lake Resources Limited (ASX: SLR) rose 6.4% to 75 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.