The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has soared 2.1% to 5,202.2, following the lead of US markets overnight. The Dow Jones climbed 1.8%, while the S&P 500 rose 1.7%, following the US Federal Reserve’s announcement that it would cut back its easing program by $10 billion a month to a still impressive $75 billion.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Caltex Australia (ASX: CTX) gained 13.1% to $19.12
- Fleetwood Corporation (ASX: FWD) climbed 10% to $2.65
- BlueScope Steel (ASX: BSL) rose 8.5% to $5.60
- Silver Lake Resources (ASX: SLR) added 7.5% to 43 cents
- Sirius Resources (ASX: SIR) closed up 6.8% to $2.12
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Wotif.com Holdings (ASX: WTF) dropped 10.9% to $2.54
- Forge Group (ASX: FGE) dipped 4.2% to 57.5 cents
- Kingsgate Consolidated (ASX: KCN) fell 2.6% to 95 cents
- SMS Management & Technology (ASX: SMX) lost 1.6% to $3.74
- Beadell Resources (ASX:BDR) closed down 1.3% at 75 cents
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Silver Lake, Sirius, Forge and Beadell. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga
- Why PWR Holdings Ltd could see its share price rise from here – July 21, 2017 12:11pm
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited share price sinks on native title decision – July 20, 2017 4:23pm
- 5 overlooked finance shares to add to your watchlist – July 20, 2017 2:33pm