The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed down 0.5% at 5,208, following the lead from offshore markets as investors become more nervous about the US government stalemate and the looming debt ceiling issue. Markets are concerned that the US could default if it doesn’t raise its debt ceiling before October 17, which could spread chaos through the global markets.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Mount Gibson Iron (ASX: MGX) climbed 5% to 74 cents
- Bradken (ASX: BKN) rose 3.2% to $5.86
- Skilled Group (ASX: SKE) gained 2.9% to $3.61
- Goodman Fielder (ASX: GFF) shot up 2.8% to 74.5 cents
- Iluka Resources (ASX: ILU) added 2.7% to $11.50
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- NRW Holdings (ASX: NWH) fell 7.8% to $1.355
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) dropped 6% to 47 cents
- Leighton Holdings (ASX: LEI) lost 4.6% to $16.74
- Energy World Corporation (ASX: EWC) slipped 4.1% to 46.4 cents
- Panaust (ASX: PNA) closed down 3.8% at $2.04
Looking to pick up a non-bank high dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
- Woolies phases out caged eggs
- Top stock picks for October
- Online spending hits $14.2 billion
- Should you buy TPG Telecom?
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Leighton Holdings.