MENU

Why these 4 ASX shares are ending the week in the red

The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) looks set to spend another day in the red on Friday. In afternoon trade the benchmark index is down 0.1% to 5,875.5 points.

Four shares that have acted as a drag on the market today are listed below. Here’s why they are ending the week in the red:

The Domain Holdings Australia Ltd (ASX: DHG) share price has tumbled almost 13% lower to $2.79 following the release of a trading update from the property listings company for the first 15 weeks of FY 2019. According to the release, total revenue is down 1% year to date despite a 6% rise in digital revenue. In addition to this, management advised that pro forma total costs are around 7% higher for the period.

The Fairfax Media Limited (ASX: FXJ) share price has plunged 12% lower to 68.2 cents after the media company released a trading update ahead of its merger with Nine Entertainment Co Holdings Ltd (ASX: NEC). So far in FY 2019, Fairfax has seen group revenue fall 5% on the prior corresponding period. In a seperate release, Nine warned that the advertising market has been slightly softer than expected year to date.

The Sigma Healthcare Ltd (ASX: SIG) share price is down 4% to 57.2 cents. Today’s gain is almost entirely attributable to its shares going ex-dividend this morning. Eligible shareholders can now look forward to receiving the pharmacy chain operator’s interim 1.5 cents per share dividend in their nominated accounts on October 29.

The Syrah Resources Ltd (ASX: SYR) share price has fallen a further 3.5% to $1.84. The graphite miner’s shares have come under significant pressure in recent weeks after a series of issues at its Balama project. This led to its quarterly production falling well short of expectations in September. It also meant that management has pushed  back its positive cash flow target to the first quarter of 2019, rather than late 2018 as previously flagged.

OUR #1 dividend pick to grow your wealth now is revealed for FREE here!

You might not know this market leader's name, but it's rapidly expanding into a highly profitable niche market here in Australia. Even better, the shares boast a strong, fully franked dividend that should balloon in the years to come. In other words, we're looking at the holy grail of incredible long-term growth potential AND income you can watch accruing in your account in real time!

Simply click here to grab your FREE copy of this up-to-the-minute research report on our #1 dividend share recommendation now.

Motley Fool contributor James Mickleboro has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!