Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Friday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) lower 0.25% to 6,143.80
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) lower 0.25% to 6,252.30
- AUD/USD at US 71 cents
- Gold at US$1,195.90 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$76.56 a barrel
The best-performing ASX 200 share today was lithium miner Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY), it went up nearly 10%. Other lithium miners were also strong performers today with Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS) up by 9.2% and Orocobre Limited (ASX: ORE) up by nearly 5% marking a strong day for the sector.
Another share that rose strongly was Sigma Healthcare Ltd (ASX: SIG), it recovered 7.5% today, gaining some of the value lost after its recent disappointing report where profit halved.
Investors are getting excited about Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP), with the share price 4.5% higher today.
Data centre business Nextdc Ltd (ASX: NXT) dropped 4.2% today, making it the second worst fall in the ASX 200.
Finally, Nearmap Ltd (ASX: NEA) shares went up 3.6% today after coming out of a trading halt, it was in the halt due to a capital raising.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- ASIC is suing National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX:NAB) for the fees for no service scandal
- Why insurance stocks like Insurance Australia Group Ltd (ASX:IAG) could fall next week
- Donald Trump threatens to put a $200 billion bomb under share markets
- Uranium prices are rising, what stocks should you watch on the ASX?
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Nearmap Ltd. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of AFTERPAY T FPO. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended Domino's Pizza Enterprises Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- 2 ASX shares that this leading fund manager thinks are buys – April 18, 2021 12:06pm
- 2 high-yielding ASX 200 dividend shares – April 18, 2021 9:50am
- 2 ASX dividend shares that keep growing their dividend every year – April 18, 2021 8:50am