Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): up 0.1%
- DAX (Germany): up 0.1%
- CAC 40 (France): up 1.5%
- Dow Jones (USA): up 0.8%
- NASDAQ (USA): up 0.8%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: up 0.6%
- All Ordinaries (ASX: XAO) (Index: ^AXAO): up 0.5%
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 75.35 cents
- Gold price: up 0.2%
- Copper: up 0.2%
- WTI Crude Oil: down 0.5%
- Iron ore: up 2.2% to $US65.36 a tonne, according to The Metal Bulletin
Among the ASX’s best-performing shares was DUET Group (ASX: DUE). Today, the energy and utility company announced that the Foreign Investment Review Board approved its takeover by CKI.
The Fortescue Metals Group share price also rallied strongly, finishing more than 5% higher. The catalyst behind the rise appears to be a modest increase in iron ore prices overnight, which came after weeks of heavy falls.
At the other end of town, Coca-Cola Amatil shares were heavily discounted by investors following another profit downgrade.
Here are today’s top stories:
- How Wesfarmers Ltd makes most of its money
- Here are 3 of the best ASX shares for retirees
- Why Macquarie Group Ltd’s profits could jump on Green Investment Bank deal
- Your instant 5-share diversified portfolio
- Why the Coca-Cola Amatil share price has been crushed
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm