The local share market failed to hit 5,700 points today. Despite the best efforts of the gold miners, the ASX fell on what was its final trading session for the 2016 calendar year.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 0.6% to 5665 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 0.5% to 5719 points
- AUD/USD at US 72.37 cents
- Iron Ore at US$80.43 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,159.42 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$56.78 a barrel
One of the biggest stories from today is that Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Co. Ltd (ASX: SOL) has entered an agreement to acquire 19.9% of the shares in Hunter Hall International Ltd (ASX: HHL) from the outgoing Peter Hall.
Soul Patt’s shares rose 0.8% while Hunter Hall International slipped 4.6%.
The gold miners provided the most spark today as the gold price marched higher.
Elsewhere, Caltex Australia Limited (ASX: CTX) rose 0.9% and Carsales.Com Ltd (ASX: CAR) gained 1.5%.
Here are Friday’s top stories:
- Make This Investment Goal YOUR New Year’s Resolution
- The hottest news from 2016: What our readers loved
- 4 explosive fintech stars that will be on my watch list in 2017
- Should you own Newcrest Mining Limited shares in 2017?
- Will these 4 beaten down ASX shares bounce back in 2017?
- 4 turnaround shares to watch in 2017
5 stocks under $5
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm