July wasn’t a great month to be holding gold stocks, particularly Australian gold stocks.
The S&P/ASX All Ords Gold (INDEXASX:XGD) (ASX: XGD) dropped around 13%, mostly thanks to falling gold prices.
As the chart below shows, the spot gold price fell from above US$1,160 an ounce to below US$1,100 an ounce. It’s currently trading just above that at US$1,110 an ounce.
As usual, Australian gold producers plunged even further as the list and chart below shows.
- Gold Road Resources Ltd (ASX: GOR) fell 19% from 42 cents to 34 cents
- Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) crashed 20% from 30 cents to 24 cents
- Alkane Resources Limited (ASX: ALK) dropped 22% from 30 cents to 23 cents
- Perseus Mining Limited (ASX: PRU) tumbled 24% from 42 cents to 32 cents
- Medusa Mining Limited (ASX: MML) plunged 35% from 84 cents to 55 cents
- Beadell Resources Ltd (ASX: BDR) also lost 35%, falling from 19 cents to 12 cents
Source: Google Finance (note that Google calculations are out slightly compared to data above)
Gold mining companies will generally see their share prices overreact, depending on which direction the spot gold price is heading for one major reason. Investors are extrapolating the current short-term trend out into the future. In this case, many investors are expecting gold prices to continue falling, with at least one prediction of prices below US$1,000 an ounce. If the US Federal Reserve raises interest rates, that seems a highly likely outcome.
Thanks to the Australian dollar falling to around US 73 cents, the current spot price equates to around A$1,571 an ounce. At these prices, most gold miners should be making a killing, but we’ll have to wait and see their next financial reports for the proof. Call me a cynic, but my money’s on expenses rising and eliminating much of the profit.
5 stocks under $5
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
Motley Fool contributor Mike King doesn't own shares in any companies mentioned. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Why PWR Holdings Ltd could see its share price rise from here – July 21, 2017 12:11pm
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited share price sinks on native title decision – July 20, 2017 4:23pm
- 5 overlooked finance shares to add to your watchlist – July 20, 2017 2:33pm