It’s been a rocky start to the 2015 calendar year for the S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) with the oil price playing havoc with some of the biggest names in the index. Given the weighting of these constituents, the pressure on their share prices has had a significant effect on the overall direction of the market.
Given the expected imposition of tighter financial regulations as a result of the Murray Inquiry plus continued weakness in iron ore and oil prices, the usual suspects – namely the banks and major miners – could struggle to deliver adequate returns to investors in the coming year.
Couple this scenario with the possibility that the Reserve Bank of Australia will further cut interest rates and solid blue-chip dividend paying stocks could be the key to your portfolio’s performance.
Here are four worth considering…
- AMP Limited (ASX: AMP): Share price $5.48; forecast dividend of 28.5 cents per share (cps); 70% franked yield of 5.2%.
- ASX Ltd (ASX: ASX): Share price $36.86; forecast dividend 182 cps; fully franked yield of 4.9%.
- Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS): Share price $5.98, forecast dividend 30 cps; fully franked yield of 5%.
- Woolworths Limited (ASX: WOW): Share price $29.86; forecast divided 145 cps; fully franked yield of 4.8%.
Here’s an even better bet than the four companies mentioned above.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Tim McArthur does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned.
- 3 ASX stocks to buy now to get rich later – October 20, 2016 1:34pm
- Why this fund manager is worried about the sustainability of bank dividends – October 18, 2016 7:56am
- Here’s why I might buy these 2 beaten-up share bargains – October 17, 2016 4:18pm