The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has finished the day down 0.9% at 5,411.5, as iron entered a bear market (down 20%), taking the big miners with it. In fact, the three biggest iron ore miners accounted for more than half of the ASX’s fall.
As you might expect, the materials and metals and mining sectors fared the worst, losing more than 4% each, while the gold sector dropped 2.7% on the back of a falling gold price.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Leighton Holdings Limited (ASX: LEI) climbed 11.4% to $23.09
- Pacific Brands Limited (ASX: PBG) jumped 8.7% to 56 cents
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL) gained 6.5% to $2.48
- Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP) added 3.3% to $22.29
- Horizon Oil Limited (ASX: HZN) rose3.2% to 32.5 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Silver Lake Resources Limited (ASX: SLR) plummeted 11.5% to 46 cents
- Arrium Ltd (ASX: ARI) ex-OneSteel dropped 10.6% to $1.345
- Atlas Iron Limited (ASX: AGO) fell 10.1% to 93 cents
- Sirius Resources N.L. (ASX: SIR) lost 9.6% to $2.53
- Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG) closed down 9.4% at $4.92
Attention investors: Brand-new report reveals #1 ASX pick… FREE!
If you’d bought this company’s shares in November 2012, you’d already have made 700%! But the massive profits could just be beginning, says one top investor. In our brand-new FREE research report, "Joe Magyer’s #1 ASX Tech Stock for 2014," you’ll discover the name, code and a full analysis. Simply click here, it’s FREE!
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Leighton Holdings, Silver Lake Resources and, Sirius Resources. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga