The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has finished the day down 0.9% at 5,411.5, as iron entered a bear market (down 20%), taking the big miners with it. In fact, the three biggest iron ore miners accounted for more than half of the ASX’s fall.
As you might expect, the materials and metals and mining sectors fared the worst, losing more than 4% each, while the gold sector dropped 2.7% on the back of a falling gold price.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Leighton Holdings Limited (ASX: LEI) climbed 11.4% to $23.09
- Pacific Brands Limited (ASX: PBG) jumped 8.7% to 56 cents
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL) gained 6.5% to $2.48
- Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP) added 3.3% to $22.29
- Horizon Oil Limited (ASX: HZN) rose3.2% to 32.5 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.