The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has finished the day down 0.9% at 5,411.5, as iron entered a bear market (down 20%), taking the big miners with it. In fact, the three biggest iron ore miners accounted for more than half of the ASX’s fall.
As you might expect, the materials and metals and mining sectors fared the worst, losing more than 4% each, while the gold sector dropped 2.7% on the back of a falling gold price.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Leighton Holdings Limited (ASX: LEI) climbed 11.4% to $23.09
- Pacific Brands Limited (ASX: PBG) jumped 8.7% to 56 cents
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL) gained 6.5% to $2.48
- Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP) added 3.3% to $22.29
- Horizon Oil Limited (ASX: HZN) rose3.2% to 32.5 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Silver Lake Resources Limited (ASX: SLR) plummeted 11.5% to 46 cents
- Arrium Ltd (ASX: ARI) ex-OneSteel dropped 10.6% to $1.345
- Atlas Iron Limited (ASX: AGO) fell 10.1% to 93 cents
- Sirius Resources N.L. (ASX: SIR) lost 9.6% to $2.53
- Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG) closed down 9.4% at $4.92
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Leighton Holdings, Silver Lake Resources and, Sirius Resources. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga
- Why PWR Holdings Ltd could see its share price rise from here – July 21, 2017 12:11pm
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited share price sinks on native title decision – July 20, 2017 4:23pm
- 5 overlooked finance shares to add to your watchlist – July 20, 2017 2:33pm