The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has resumed its upward climb, adding 0.3% at 5,372.9. Sectors were mixed with gold down 1.2%, financials and health care both posting a rise of 0.7%, while utilities added 0.9%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Transfield Services (ASX: TSE) climbed 5% to $1.47
- Sundance Resources (ASX: SDL) added 4.6% to 11.5 cents
- Asciano (ASX: AIO) rose 3.7% to $6.21
- Fairfax Media (ASX: FXJ) ascended 3.6% to 57 cents
- Qantas Airways (ASX: QAN) closed up 3.6% at $1.29
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Acrux (ASX: ACR) slumped 11.8% to $2.76
- Medusa Mining (ASX: MML) dropped 8.3% to $2.10
- Linc Energy (ASX: LNC) slid 7.4% to $1.45
- Wotif.com Holdings (ASX: WTF) lost 5.8% to $4.40
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) closed down 4.5% at 42.5 cents
Every Aussie investor knows Telstra, but only the smart money is on the move now… Discover whether you should buy, sell or hold Telstra shares in our brand-new report, written by a top Motley Fool analyst. It's free, click here for your instant download!
- 3 health care stocks that you should know
- Is it time to buy Telstra?
- 5 core stocks for new investors
- 4 high earnings growers to pick up your portfolio
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn't own shares in any companies mentioned.