A falling National Australia Bank Ltd. (ASX: NAB) share price wasn’t enough to deter the market from ending today’s session in the black.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.2% to 5850 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.2% to 5882 points
- AUD/USD at US 74.22 cents
- Iron Ore at US$60.80 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,233.41 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$51.93 a barrel
The NAB share price dropped 3.5% today after the bank’s shares went ex-dividend. Investors who owned the shares leading into today’s session are entitled to a 99 cent per share dividend, fully franked.
NAB’s big bank rivals each ended the session higher, with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ASX: CBA) share price rising 0.5%.
Sirtex Medical Limited (ASX: SRX) didn’t perform so well, its share price sliding 4.2%. Orica Ltd (ASX: ORI) also slid 3.4% for the session. Orica released its half-year earnings report, revealing a 4.5% reduction in revenue.
Gold miner St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM) was among the market’s best performers today, lifting 2.9%.
And the Flight Centre Travel Group Ltd (ASX: FLT) share price rose 3% after it continued its European expansion.
Here are Tuesday’s top stories:
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Flight Centre Travel Group Limited and National Australia Bank Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm