The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) finished flat on Thursday.
Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): up 0.6%
- DAX (Germany): up 0.1%
- CAC 40 (France): up 0.1%
- Dow Jones (USA): down 0.2%
- NASDAQ (USA): up 0.1%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: flat
- All Ordinaries: flat
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 73.53 cents
- Gold price: down 0.2%
- Copper: up 0.3%
- WTI Crude Oil: up 2.4%
At the top of the ASX’s performance tables were shares of Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP), which rallied around 4%, despite no company-specific news.
In the mid-cap space, the Graincorp Ltd (ASX: GNC) share price ended 8% in the green following the release of a promising half-year profit update. The agricultural business reported a 212% increase in underlying net profit.
At the other end of the market, Telstra store operator Vita Group Limited (ASX: VTG) plunged a stomach-turning 30% following a trading update. The company said it is working with the telecommunications giant to establish terms of remuneration and deal, “with the challenges that lie ahead.”
Also amongst the worst-performing shares was Myer Holdings Ltd (ASX: MYR), following a third-quarter sales update; Quintis Ltd (ASX: QIN), which fell again following a trading update yesterday; and BT Investment Management Ltd (ASX: BTT), which headed lower after releasing its half-year results.
Here are today’s top stories:
- Why the XERO FPO share price shot the lights out today
- Why the Big 4 banks are huge bets on Australian property prices
- Boral Limited builds on its returns
- Why I just put 3% of my portfolio in Vocus Group Ltd
- Why the Creso Pharma Ltd share price has bolted higher today
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Vocus Communications Limited and Xero. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm