MENU

Alumina’s share price is up 15% this year, is there more to come?

Alumina Limited (ASX: AWC) has seen its share price rise 17% so far this year to $1.34, on the back of rising aluminium prices.

Alumina share price Mar 2016

Source: Yahoo Finance

 

Alumina doesn’t actually produce any aluminium at all – it only holds 40% of Alcoa World Alumina & Chemicals (AWAC) – the world’s largest alumina business (alumina is the key ingredient for aluminium). Alcoa Inc GDR (ASX: AAI) owns the remaining 60% of AWAC and is the manager.

Since mid-January, aluminium is the second-best performing commodity behind zinc, rising 8%, but more gains appear to be unlikely.

Both JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs are forecasting aluminium prices to fall. Goldman Sachs expects both copper and aluminium prices to slide as much as 20% over the next 12 months. JP Morgan says global supply increased by 9% in 2015 – compared to 4% growth in demand.

China’s aluminium smelters reduced their capacity by closer to 15% in 2015 according to Econotimes.com, but production is expected to sharply increase from this month despite weak domestic demand, leading to increased exports of aluminium, and putting more downward pressure on prices.

Foolish takeaway

Like other resources companies, Alumina is almost totally dependent on commodities prices. With aluminium prices under pressure, Alumina’s share price is likely to follow.

Foolish investors might want to steer clear, despite the 6.7% fully franked dividend (Alumina only started paying dividends last year – and they could fall or be cancelled at any time).

Discover the 'new breed' of blue chips that could take your portfolio higher in 2016

Forget Alumina, BHP and Woodside. These 3 "new breed" top blue chips for 2016 pay fully franked dividends and offer the very real prospect of significant capital appreciation. Click here to learn more.

The report is free! No credit card required.

Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn't own shares in any companies mentioned. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga

Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!