MENU

S&P/ASX 200 set to fall: 6 shares to watch

The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AJXO) (ASX: XJO) is expected to trade flat following mixed leads from international markets overnight.

Here’s a recap:

  • Dow Jones (USA): down 1.8%
  • NASDAQ (USA): down 2.2%
  • FTSE 100 (UK): down 2.3%
  • DAX (Germany): down 1.8%
  • EURO STOXX 50 (Europe): down 2.3%

In the US, a sharp fall in oil prices prompted investors towards the exits. In Europe, a similar theme played out. Oil giant BP posted a $6.5 billion loss for 2015, and its shares fell 8%. FTSE-listed shares of BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) and Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) fell 2.7% and 4.6%, respectively.

Closer to home, the Sydney Futures Exchange is tipping a 69-point, or 1.4%, fall in the S&P/ASX 200.

One company which will be in particular focus on the market today is National Australia Bank Ltd. (ASX: NAB). This morning, NAB announced the final price which institutional investors will pay for the upcoming divestment of Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banking Group (ASX: CYB) (its UK subsidiary).

“This effectively concludes the demerger and IPO process for CYBG,” the company said. Priced at 180 pence per share, it means CYBG will be worth $3.2 billion based on today’s exchange rates. NAB will sell 25% of CYBG shares to institutional investors while current NAB shareholders will receive the remaining 75%. ASX-listed CYBG shares are expected to begin trading on the ASX on 17 February 2016.

In other company news, Ziptel Ltd (ASX: ZIP) said it has partnered with ironSource, a leading app discovery business.

ASX Ltd (ASX: ASX) released its monthly activities report showing a total of 2,210 companies listed on the market at the end of January, down from 2,238 at the beginning of the month.

Finally, in broker news, Bell Potter has cut its share price target on Suncorp Group Ltd (ASX: SUN) 3.5% to $13.10, while Credit Suisse analysts raised their Navitas Limited (ASX: NVT) price target 7% to $4.60, according to Dow Jones Newswires.

Want our BEST technology stock idea?

Our expert analysts recently hand-picked their top technology stock idea for 2016. And it's easy to see why: It has a big dividend yield, is growing rapidly and has heaps of cash on its balance sheet. Best of all: their top stock pick of 2016 is yours free! Just click here, enter your email address, and we'll send you their research report. No credit card details or payment required.

Motley Fool writer/analyst Owen Raszkiewicz does not have a financial interest in any company mentioned. Owen welcomes -- and encourages -- your feedback on Google+, LinkedIn or you can follow him on Twitter @ASXinvest.

Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.