MENU

Major Westfield Group change announced – here’s what you need to know

The securities of Westfield Group (ASX: WDC) and Westfield Retail Trust (ASX: WRT) will both be suspended from quotation on the Australian Stock Exchange at close of business this afternoon after the pair gained all necessary approvals to proceed with their $70 billion restructure.

As of tomorrow (Wednesday, June 25) two new entities will trade on the exchange in their place on a deferred settlement basis (normal trading is expected to commence on 3 July 2014). Westfield Corporation Limited, which will own and operate all of the Group’s international assets, will trade under ticker code (ASX: WFD). Meanwhile, Scentre Group, which will own and operate all Australian and New Zealand assets, will trade under ticker code (ASX: SCG).

As part of the deal, Westfield Group shareholders will own 100% of Westfield Corporation and 48.6% of Scentre Group. Westfield Retail Trust security-holders will own the remaining 51.4% of Scentre Group.

Further, all Westfield Group shareholders will receive 1,000 shares in the new Westfield Corporation as well as 1,246 shares in Scentre Group for every 1,000 securities held. Meanwhile, for every 1,000 Westfield Retail Trust securities held, the security-holder will receive 918 shares in Scentre Group as well as a cash payment of roughly $285.

Investors will likely breathe a sigh of relief once the restructure is complete as it has been the subject of much controversy since it was proposed on December 4 last year. Westfield Group’s shares are trading 2c or 0.2% lower today, while Westfield Retail Trust has jumped 4.5c or 1.4%.

Instant access to 18 of our top recommendations - just 2 clicks!

For a limited time only: You can receive INSTANT ACCESS to all The Motley Fool's premium investing reports, including "The 5 Best Stocks in Australia REVEALED" and "How to Profit from the IT Arms Race"... as well as over one dozen active BUY recommendations inside the exclusive Motley Fool Share Advisor website! Secure our best offer and save a total of $499 through this special EOFY sale. Offer expires July 1, so don't delay.

Click here when you're ready to complete your deal: You're just two clicks away from taking control of your family's financial future!

Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.