It certainly has been a great day to be a shareholder of Australian gold miners.
The gold miners are far and away the best performers on the market on Wednesday, rising strongly after the spot gold price spiked overnight.
At the time of writing the S&P/ASX All Ords Gold (Index: ^AXGD) (ASX: XGD) is up an impressive 3.5% compared to a 0.3% gain by the benchmark S&P/ASX 200.
Here is the state of play in afternoon trade for the gold miners:
- The Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN) share price is up 3.2%.
- The Gold Road Resources Ltd (ASX: GOR) share price has risen 3.6%.
- The Newcrest Mining Limited (ASX: NCM) share price has climbed 2.7%.
- The Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) share price is up 4.8%.
- The Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) share price is 3.3% higher.
- The Saracen Mineral Holdings Limited (ASX: SAR) share price has surged 6.5% higher.
- The St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM) share price is up 6.4%.
Why are the gold miners storming higher?
According to Bloomberg, the price of the precious metal has been rising after the Italian government’s 2019 budget revealed a significant increase in spending and its deficit, disregarding the European Union’s guidelines.
This has left the market fearing that a Greek-style crisis could occur in the near future as Italy’s debts spiral out of control.
Things escalated overnight when the Italian government dug its feet in despite pressure from authorities in Brussels and its E.U. partners, leading to the spot gold price rising as much as 1.5% to US$1,208 an ounce.
Should you buy the gold miners?
While I do think that having a little exposure to gold in your portfolio can be a good thing, I feel the best gold miners are currently a little on the expensive side.
In light of this, I would suggest investors wait for a decent pullback before buying any of their shares.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor James Mickleboro has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- Here are a couple of safe and strong ASX dividend shares to buy – August 8, 2020 11:04am
- 3 core holdings for a $100,000 ASX portfolio – August 8, 2020 10:50am
- These ASX tech shares could be strong buys right now – August 8, 2020 9:05am