Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Wednesday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) higher 0.32% to 6,146.10
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) higher 0.31% to 6,265.20
- AUD/USD at US 72 cents
- Gold at US$1,208.45 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$84.87 a barrel
The best-performing ASX 200 share today was gold miner Saracen Mineral Holdings Limited (ASX: SAR), its share price shone going up 8.1%.
In-fact, the entire gold mining industry glittered today. The share price of St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM) rose 7.4%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) shares climbed 4.4%, the Evolution Mining Limited (ASX: EVN) share price grew 3.8% and Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) climbed 3.8%.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Freedom Insurance Group Ltd (ASX:FIG) completed its strategic review and things don’t look good
- Is Lendlease Group (ASX:LLC) cushioned from the impact of a weakening housing market?
- Do airlines like Qantas Airways Limited (ASX:QAN) make great investments?
- Why Ardent Leisure Group (ASX:AAD) shares are closing in on a 52-week low
- Amazon doubles wages of US workers
Discover why this legendary Australian stock-picker just issued a “Double Down” buy alert to his exclusive group of insiders… and why he’s convinced this might be the single most attractive entry point for years to come.
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.