MENU

Why is Slater & Gordon Limited still talking down its own market value?

Credit: Дима

Today embattled law firm Slater & Gordon Limited (ASX: SGH) updated its remaining shareholders as to its operational progress under a new structure that sees its UK operations divested and owned by its U.S. private equity owners.

The restructure of and recapitalisation of the all-but-bankrupt Slater & Gordon was complex and involved around 1,000 pages of documents for some less-than-sophisticated retail shareholders to wade through, but in summary resulted in a debt-for-equity swap that saw its new owners take on some of its $1 billion debt mountain. This after some of its original creditors such as National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB) and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC) agreed to take substantial haircuts on the debt owed to them.

As a result the U.S. private equity or special situations / distressed debt specialists now own around 95% of the business, with retail investors left with the other 5% or so after their shareholdings were also consolidated on a 1-f0r-100 basis. In other words anyone who rode Slater & Gordon shares to the bottom has lost 99% of their investment.

The only (feint) light at the end of the tunnel is that Slater & Gordon’s Australian business now has a lot of its debt written off and the chance to return to profitability. In this goldilocks scenario it could potentially grow its share price over a 3 to 5 year period for anyone stubborn enough to hang on.

Today the group reported a net asset position of $90.1 million, compared to net liabilities of $248.1 million in the prior corresponding period. However, the restructured Australian operating group is still struggling with a net loss from continuing operations of $21.2 million from revenues of $96.3 million over the period. Cash outflows for the period were just in the red at $0.8 million.

The company also repeated the unusual step of warning shareholders that it believed its scrip was overvalued at $1.81, flagging that KPMG reportedly valued it at between 30 cents and $1.10 per share.

Needless to say this business is about as far from investment grade as you get and it might just be a matter of time before its U.S. owners look to buy out remaining shareholders and delist the business. This may explain why its US owners now seem so keen to talk down its own implied equity value! It remains an avoid.

Top 3 ASX Blue Chips To Buy In 2018

For many, blue chip stocks mean stability, profitability and regular dividends, often fully franked..

But knowing which blue chips to buy, and when, can be fraught with danger.

The Motley Fool’s in-house analyst team has poured over thousands of hours worth of proprietary research to bring you the names of "The Motley Fool’s Top 3 Blue Chip Stocks for 2018."

Each one pays a fully franked dividend. Each one has not only grown its profits, but has also grown its dividend. One increased it by a whopping 33%, while another trades on a grossed up (fully franked) dividend yield of almost 7%.

The names of these Top 3 ASX Blue Chips are included in this specially prepared free report. But you will have to hurry. Depending on demand – and how quickly the share prices of these companies moves – we may be forced to remove this report.

Click here to claim your free report.

Motley Fool contributor Tom Richardson has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

You can find Tom on Twitter @tommyr345

The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of National Australia Bank Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.