The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has finished the trading session on Thursday up 0.53% after solid employment data was released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Overnight the US markets finished mixed with the Dow Jones down 0.07%, while the S&P 500 gained 0.03%.
With the exception of the healthcare and energy sectors, all sectors finished higher. Major mining stocks and the major banks led the gains.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Sirius Resources N.L. (ASX: SIR) rallied 8.4% to $2.71
- Medusa Mining Limited (ASX: MML) jumped 7.8% to $2.61
- Horizon Oil Ltd (ASX: HZN) gained 6.7% to 32 cents
- Alacer Gold Corp – CDI (ASX: AQG) rose 6.6% to $3.39
- Atlas Iron Limited (ASX: AGO) closed up 6% to 97.5 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP) dropped 3% to $20.75
- Buru Energy Limited (ASX: BRU) lost 2.5% to $1.35
- Primary Health Care Limited (ASX: PRY) fell 2.4% to $4.92
- Lynas Corporation Limited (ASX: LYC) slipped 2% to 24 cents
- Sigma Pharmaceutical Limited (ASX: SIP) closed down 1.5% to 64 cents