MENU

Country Road Limited soars 35% – what you need to know

Shareholders of retailer Country Road Limited (ASX: CTY) will be smiling today at the 35% gain in the share price. Tallied up, since the company announced its half-year results on Tuesday, shareholders have enjoyed an impressive 105% boost in the share price.

In late 2012 Country Road acquired the iconic Witchery and Mimco brands. The addition of these brands to its portfolio largely explains the boost in revenues and profits for the group. For the half-year ending 31 December 2013, the retailer reported total sales up 27.4% and total profits up 71.7%. More importantly, comparable store sales growth was a solid 6.6% across the enlarged group and earnings per share were up 42.5% to 36.6 cents per share.

Foolish takeaway

The problem for investors who are not already minority shareholders is the lack of liquidity in Country Road’s share register. The two major shareholders control nearly 99.8% of the company, leaving just 0.2% in ‘free float’. This is an extreme example of an illiquid stock, however the share price gain also highlights the advantage small investors can have over institutions in their ability to purchase small, illiquid positions in potentially mispriced shares.

The top ASX pick you've never heard of...

Top Motley Fool analysts just identified their #1 ASX pick for 2014, a small-cap stock that could be poised for big gains (and offers a fat, fully franked dividend!). Discover all the details now, including the name and code, in this FREE investment report, "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2014."

Motley Fool contributor Tim McArthur does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.