Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Wednesday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) higher 1.18% to 5,939.10
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) higher 1.16% to 6,047.10
- AUD/USD at US 71 cents
- Gold at US$1,225.70 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$81.47 a barrel
The best-performing ASX 200 share today was organic infant formula business Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (ASX: BAL), its share price rose 12.5%. Fellow infant formula business a2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M) also flew 8.5% higher. Both seem to be reacting to a2 Milk’s first quarter update.
Afterpay Touch Group Ltd (ASX: APT) shares plunged nearly 19% on news of a new Senate inquiry into finance business like payday lenders. Credit Corp Group Limited (ASX: CCP) also fell 9.2% in response to the news.
Discount retailer Reject Shop Ltd (ASX: TRS) shares declined 39% after telling investors that its comparable sales were actually falling, meaning the first half profit would be significantly less than expected.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Duxton Water Ltd (ASX:D2O) wants to raise $58.7 million for more water entitlements
- The legacy of language in the finance sector
- Is it time to stay away from ‘bond proxies’?
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison owns shares of Challenger Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Challenger Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk and AFTERPAY T FPO. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended The Reject Shop Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- 2 top ETFs delivering solid returns – January 18, 2021 2:47pm
- Wilson Asset Management thinks these 2 ASX shares are a buy – January 18, 2021 8:54am
- 3 ASX dividend shares with large yields and consistent payouts – January 17, 2021 10:35am