Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Thursday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) down 0.02% to 6,014.60
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) down 0.06% to 6,130.40
- AUD/USD at US 79.6 cents
- Gold at US$1,341.70 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$69.40 a barrel
The ASX indices have inched further down today.
The biggest rise in the ASX200 today came from Speedcast international Limited (ASX: SDA), which rose by 3.11% on no news today, although the business did appoint a new chief information officer yesterday.
The second biggest rise came from Nanosonics Ltd. (ASX: NAN) which rose by 2.33% on no news.
Lithium miners Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY) and Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS) had a terrible day today, falling by 6.63% and 5.63% respectively after a broker said the sector is its top ‘short’ idea.
Finally, blockchain company Digitalx Ltd (ASX: DCC) finished up 6.45% in the green today, as investors warmed to the technology stock again.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Aussie dollar hits 80 US cents
- BHP Billiton Limited shares push higher on first-half update
- Danger looms for interest-only property investors
- Why this broker is tipping the oil price to hit US$75 a barrel even if demand falls
- ABS reveals 34,700 more jobs, unemployment rate rises to 5.5%
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Nanosonics Limited. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended LIVETILES FPO. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.