A2 Milk (ASX:A2M) share price slides 3% in morning trade

After hitting all time highs in July 2020, it’s been a mostly sour year for the dairy company.

| More on:
sad milk drinker, infant formula share price drop, fall, decrease

Image source: Getty Images

The A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M) share price is sliding again today, down 3% in late morning trade.

A2 Milk already holds the unfortunate title as leader of the Dogs of the S&P/ASX 200 Index (ASX: XJO) over the past 12 months. That’s the list of the 10 worst performing shares on the ASX 200.

And with the A2 Milk share price down 68% since this time last year, the company edges out ASX 200 tech share Appen Ltd (ASX: APX), down 66%, for the worst performing share.

Year-to-date, A2 Milk is the third worst performing share on the ASX 200, down 46% so far in 2021. Appen, in case you’re wondering, is down 50% this calendar year.

What’s going on with the A2 Milk share price?

The A2 Milk shares hit an all time closing high of $19.83 per share on 3 July 2020. At time of writing it’s trading for $6.19 per share, down 69% from the record.

Though it’s worth noting that investors who bought shares when the company first listed in April 2015 will still be sitting on paper gains of more than 1,000%.

The A2 Milk share price received a bit of a reprieve earlier this month when the company reported it had acquired a 75% interest in Mataura Valley Milk, with China Animal Husbandry Group retaining the other 25%.

And it’s China that many analysts are pointing to as putting pressure on the A2 Milk share price. Specifically, fears of increased regulation on dairy products as the Chinese government ramps up regulations across numerous imports.

The resurgence of COVID-19 in Australia and the resulting lockdowns also appear to be driving concern over shorter-term demand.

Wondering where you should invest $1,000 right now?

When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*

Scott just revealed what he believes could be the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at near dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they could be great buys right now.

*Returns as of August 16th 2021

The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended A2 Milk. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

More on Share Fallers