Australian shares were back in the black today, giving investors a chance to catch their breaths.
Here’s a recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 1.7% to 5,115 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 1.6% to 5,133 points
- AUD/USD up 0.4% to US69.62 cents
- Iron Ore up 0.4% at US$56.85 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,119.34 an ounce; Brent oil at US$47.63 a barrel
The ASX soared higher today in a rally inspired by Woodside Petroleum Limited’s (ASX: WPL) $11.65 billion takeover offer for Oil Search Limited (ASX: OSH). Woodside’s shares retreated 3% but Oil Search skyrocketed 17.4%.
The announcement helped relax the mood across the broader market too, with the banks and miners also lifting for the day.
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ASX: ANZ) was the top performing bank, rising 3.1%, compared to the gains of 2% to 2.6% enjoyed by its rivals.
Here are Tuesday’s top stories:
- Woodside Petroleum has offered one of its shares for every four Oil Search shares in an all-scrip based takeover bid
- Santos Ltd (ASX: STO) could be mulling over a potential capital raising with oil prices crashing
- Buy low, sell high. These five blue-chip companies could make for excellent additions to your portfolio today
- Some ‘experts’ say that a recession is ‘unavoidable’. Maybe they’re right, but that’s no reason to give up on the share market.
- Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES) is one of the ASX’s best dividend stocks for the long term, but is it a buy today?
- Shares of QBE Insurance Group Ltd (ASX: QBE) have fallen considerably recently, despite a soaring dividend.
These are high octane, high upside-potential stocks... Stocks that are growing like gangbusters, and have the potential to quickly turn modest initial investments into small fortunes.
Since inception, our Extreme Opportunities service has delivered some moonshot stock picks that have absolutely shattered the market, some have even trebled in value, completely dwarfing the market average.
And now is a perfect time to join in this Black Friday Sale. You can save a whopping 75% off a full 1-year membership.
Returns as of 27th November
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ASXvalueinvest.
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 charts every Australian needs to see – April 6, 2020 1:46pm
- Innovation through crisis – April 2, 2020 11:48am
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Why Is Italy’s Fatality Rate So Bad? – March 26, 2020 3:39pm